So, I’m about to introduce you to my new addiction. I’m a potato mash lover from waaayyy back, but Rosco doesn’t really like it that much, so I don’t really have it often, but for whatever reason (work, busy, late, lazy), Rosco wanted one thing for dinner and I wanted another (which sometimes happens when one of you is a vegan and the other isn’t), and I just couldn’t be bothered cooking myself anything strenuous.
So, basically I cooked this mash, and then found heaven, and have been seriously eating it about 2-3 times a week since. I’m just waiting for the moment when I can’t bear to look at it again, but it hasn’t happened since!
- 2 potatoes
- 2-3 stalks of kale
- Pine nuts
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- Lime or lemon juice
- Seasonings - paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Peel (or don't - up to you) and chop the potatoes and boil until tender. Meanwhile, mash the avocado and mix with the chopped tomato and a dash of lemon/ lime juice to make a sort of guacamole. Set this aside in a bowl.
- Dry fry the pine nuts for a few moments (essentially you fry the pine nuts without any oil or anything, and once they start to brown or you can smell them, take them off the heat).
- Chop the kale into small pieces (think about what you'd want to pick up with a fork) and then lightly steam it (I usually just pop the steam thingy on top of the potatoes right before they're ready.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them without any oils or anything. If you must, use a bit of the cooking water. Stir in the kale and seasonings and then sprinkle on top the pine nuts. Serve with the guacamole.
Lately I've even been too lazy to make the guacamole, so I literally just chop an avocado and tomato and whack them in the mix too
Add hemp seeds for some extra protein
In terms of serves - I think of one person per potato (if it is large), so I'd say this serves two, but if it is just a side, then I'd suggest it would serve up to four... but that isn't saying that I haven't rocked two potatoes on my own, but I have a big appetite!
Do you have a dinner that you just can’t resist? Do you have one that you were addicted to and now can’t stand the sight of?