Hemp seeds rock. Here’s why:
- They’re a complete source of protein (about 3 tablespoons = 11g)
- Great ratio of Omega 3 and 6 long chain fatty acids
- Easily digestible
- Contains a whole array of vitamins and minerals including vitamin E and iron, plus zinc, calcium and magnesium
- They taste good!
So on the menu tonight is veggie burgers, and I had hemp seed pesto on my mind all day after discussing it on Facebook…. and it rocks!
- 2 bunches basil
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- 1 handful walnuts
- 1 palmful pine nuts
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of garlic infused oil (or add about half a clove of fresh or roasted garlic – whatever you prefer. If you’re thinking you’d never use this if you bought it, think again. I use it on breads for bruschetta, on soups and all other sorts of things… )
Dry cook the nuts a little in a small frypan. Once you can smell them, they’re done. This releases the flavour and aroma.
Mix all that goodness in the food processor.
Add more oil or lemon juice to taste.
What can you use this for?
What can’t you use this for! Think:
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Crackers or Turkish bread
- Toasted sandwiches
If you’re interested, here is another recipe for Hemp seeds. See my recipe for Powerballs