Today on the podcast we’re welcoming Karen from Hilariously Infertile. You may recognise her from her very popular Instagram feed where she basically shares all the best memes around for infertility, but today I wanted to lift the lid on ‘behind the scenes Karen’.
We’re talking all about how humour has helped her cope on her journey, the truth about whether she is positive all the time (and if not, what kind of things she does to lift herself up outside of making us all laugh) and what lifestyle changes she made to conceive.
Key Takeaways and Karen’s Tips:
- Karen cut down on alcohol and caffeine (in her case, soda) during her fertility treatments.
- Balance in your diet is important.
- In terms of mindset, Karen put her trust in doctors, which she said made a difference.
- Make sure you and your partner support each other throughout the journey.
- Karen’s take on “Happy wife, happy life,” is “Happy man, happy fam.”
- Set rituals to make time for each other. Karen and her husband watch specific shows together, get ready in the mornings together and have regular “grown-up” time.
- Be your own self advocate.
- Karen deals with bad days and manages her mindset by:
- Taking a deep breath and thinking about the things she’s grateful for in her life: heat, electricity, health, love… which puts things in perspective.
- When you’re going through the major procedures etc, cut yourself a break! It doesn’t matter if your hair isn’t perfect or you haven’t made your bed.
Karen’s book is Hilariously Infertile: One Woman’s Inappropriate Quest to Help Women Laugh Through Infertility.